To help clients prioritize battle fields with understandings of ground-level needs, organizational capacity, external expectation and founding value, set near-/long-term target, being both forward-looking and feasible; lay out key work modules and roadmap such as needed resources, team, and branding.
Development of customized and localized CSR strategy as well as roadmap; fund allocation and major program design based on existing CSR strategy; execution management, including partner selection, CSR program implementation, monitoring and evaluation; PMO (Project Management Office) support.
Strategic Planning for Charity and Filial Piety Commonweal Foundation of Lean Shandong
In March 2023, VA launched the 2023~2027 strategic plan for the Le’an Foundation in Shandong Province. The key issues to be solved in this strategic plan include sorting out and dividing business lines of enterprises and foundations, designing impact expansion paths and the structure of the foundation, as well as clarifying the core strategies and roadmap of key business of the foundation
- Conducted desktop research and benchmarking studies, and conduct in-depth interviews with internal and external stakeholders
- Communicated and co-created with the internal team based on the preliminary suggestion and finally formed a strategic planning report
- Provided one-year long implementation support services
Strategic Planning for China Population Welfare Foundation
n September 2022, VA launched a five-year strategic plan for the China Population Welfare Foundation for the second time. This plan focuses on the three major sectors of main business building, brand management, and professionalism establishment. VA also put forward practical suggestions based on the new strategy
- Conducted desk research and in-depth interviews with key stakeholders
- Form a strategic planning recommendation report, including macro policy and population trends, domestic and foreign industry benchmarking, business focus strategies, organizational structure and capacity development, etc.
Strategic Positioning Project for Shenzhen Bay Laboratory
Shenzhen Bay Laboratory decided to establish a public welfare foundation to better support its development. In August 2022, VA was invited to carry out a strategic positioning project for the Shenzhen Bay Laboratory Public Welfare Foundation
- Carried out desktop research and benchmarked 2-3 influential domestic and foreign public welfare foundations that support the field of life and health
- Provided suggestions on the future development positioning of the foundation, and future fundraising/funding/venture philanthropy methods
Strategic planning and organizational restructuring for Chinese Red Cross Foundation
With the changes in the external policy environment and the growth of private charity forces, the transformation of traditional public foundations is an inevitable trend. Therefore, VA was invited to carry out five-year strategic planning and organizational restructuring for the Chinese Red Cross Foundation
- Conducted systematic research on the foundation’s past projects through employee interviews and desktop research, and discovered the foundation’s competitive advantages and disadvantages
- Reconstructed the core values of the foundation, proposed a strategic focus plan for the next five years, and redesigned the organizational structure to improve the operational efficiency of the organization
- Designed the organization's department settings, task division, assistance mechanism, salary and reward and punishment mechanisms
Monitoring, Reporting and Evaluation System Design for a Foundation From the Field of Sustainable Energy Development
In August 2021, VA was invited by the foundation to design a monitoring, reporting and evaluation system, including the principles, structure and application of the system. To better respond to changes in the environmental policies and donors' requirements, assist in program management, and support management team's decision-making and organizational strategic adjustments.
- Reviewed and updated current version of MRE principles, framework and approach based on experiences in past three years
- Drafted MRE manual for implementation, including MRE overview, implementation process and result application, etc.
- Conducted MRE training to the foundation's staff
Strategic Planning for Vanke Foundation on Reducing Food Loss and Waste
In October 2020, VA was invited by Vanke Foundation to provide strategic planning on the topic of “Reducing Food Loss and Waste” to enable the foundation further expand its influence through the newly established impact fund.
- Clarified the relation between impact fund and the flagship program
- Study potential demand and pain points under the topic of food Loss and waste
- Conducted desk research and interviews on the expectations of internal and external key stakeholders
- Provide high level strategic recommendations, including target group, intervention approach, and roadmap
Beijing Arbitration Commission/Beijing International Arbitration Center Strategic Planning
Established in 1995, Beijing Arbitration Commission/Beijing International Arbitration Center (BAC/BIAC) has become one of the leading arbitration institutions in mainland China. From April 2019, VA provided the 5-year strategic planning (2020-2025) for BAC/BIAC, which will help the organization to have stronger leadership qualities and become more competitive in domestic and overseas market.
- Studied historical development of arbitration industry in mainland China, as well as present industry environment
- Analyzed BAC/BIAC’s key achievements in the past 24 years and its status quo
- Benchmarked 5 leading arbitration institutions across the world via interviews and desktop research, focusing on development trends and best practices
- Composed strategic planning for the next 5 years, including organizational vision, mission, core values, strategic positioning, strategic targets and implementation roadmap
Marketing Strategy for Beijing Arbitration Commission/Beijing International Arbitration Center‘s Segmented Markets (2020-2024)
May 2020, VA was invited to develop the marketing strategy for Beijing Arbitration Commission/Beijing International Arbitration Center (BAC/BIAC) for 2020-2024. By securing high-end cases in segmented markets, BAC would win the long-term trust of customers, as well as maintain and further improve their competitiveness and leading position in the field of arbitration.
- Desktop research on the real estate and construction industries, including the status quo and relevant policies and regulations, focusing on the major types of disputes and clients’ needs in these two fields
- 9 telephone interviews with legal and industry experts, general counsels from central enterprises, and BAC staff; 15 visits to and face-to-face interviews with corporates and their legal counsels in Beijing, Shenzhen and Shanghai
- Benchmarking with other Chinese leading arbitration commission in marketing and brand promotion, focusing on the real estate and construction industries
- Performing systematic analysis of market development stages and clients’ needs in the above-mentioned two fields, making suggestions regarding marketing strategies and internal improvement
Lao Niu Foundation Organizational Culture Project
In September 2017, Venture Avenue was invited by Lao Niu Foundation to crystalize and disseminate its institutional values adhering to its strategic planning.
- Collected in-depth external observations of Lao Niu’s culture/values, including local government, partners and KOLs
- Conducted interviews to understand employees’ motivation of pursuing their career in Lao Niu Foundation
- Facilitated a series of WeValue workshops which enable precise statement, equal dialogue, common language and systematic utilization regarding the organizational values
- Reinforced the team’s understanding of their mission, vision, culture and value, and compiled a Lao Niu Culture Manual
Strategic Planning for WWF
From March to May 2019, VA was engaged by WWF China to help its development of the new 5-year strategic plan so that the organization can better cope with the rapid changes in the external environment and meet their own development needs.
- Summarized the organization’s main achievements and lessons learned in the past four years
- Used PEST analysis to assess the impacts of the external environment on WWF China
- Understood the expectations of key internal and external stakeholders on the strategic positioning and objectives of WWF China and built consensus through interviews, important internal meetings and strategy workshop
- Provided strategic recommendations, including strategic intents, strategic levers, strategic objectives, internal business mechanisms and processes, and implementation roadmap
Asian Development Bank - Inclusive Business Project
Provide strategy consulting and project implementation services to Asian Development Bank to find, incubate and invest in inclusive small and medium enterprises in China that can create additional good-paying jobs for the low-income population
- Worked with the Shanxi Poverty Alleviation Office to screen and incubate small and medium agribusinesses that can alleviate poverty for the local farmers. After incubation, 19 companies have successfully received investment from Asian Development Bank
- Initiated the first research study of inclusive businesses in China in partnership with the Asian Development Bank (ADB). Presented results to over 250 domestic and international experts at the China Poverty Reduction International Forum. Published findings on Stanford Social Innovation Review
- Designed an incubation program in partnership with ADB for 100 Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to pivot from declining coal-reliant economies to focus on sustainable sectors, which is forecasted to create 5,000 new jobs in the next five years
Strategic Planning for Vanke Foundation
The year of 2017 is the 10th anniversary of Vanke Foundation. From November 2017 to March 2018, VA was invited to provide five-year strategic planning to support Vanke Foundation become more professional and achieve broader impact.
- Analyzed achievement and challenges of Vanke Foundation
- Researched market demand and donation distribution in different areas, and analyzed impact of recent government policies
- Conducted interviews, surveys and workshops to understand expectations of internal and external key stakeholders and generate consensus
- Provide strategic recommendations and rationale, including organizational mission/vision/value, strategic plan system, flagship program design, and roadmap
CSR Strategy Development - Participation Model
A leading luxury car maker planned to set up a charitable fund in China dedicated to CSR activities. VA was invited to help identify an optimal CSR participation model and develop a road map.
- Researched CSR activities of selected MNCs and identified general trends
- Identified 3 available models of implementing CSR programs in China, with pros and cons analysis for each model
- Determined the most suitable CSR participation model
- Provided high-level recommendation for foundation set-up preparation
Strategic Planning for Lao Niu Foundation
The year of 2014 is the 10th anniversary of Lao Niu Foundation (LNF). From June to August, VA partnered with Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors to provide strategic planning to help LNF become more focused and impactful.
- Analyzed achievement and challenges of LNF
- Researched market demand and donation distribution in different areas such as education, environment, healthcare, etc.
- Benchmarked leading families foundations globally via interview and desktop research, and summarized trends and best practices
- Provided strategic recommendations and roadmap
Strategic Plan for West China College Student Loan Project
There are approximately 1.4 million college students coming from poor families in western China. Despite of increasing coverage of national student loan, poor students still cannot afford increasing cost of education and living. Invited by Fuping School, VA conducted a market study for its West China College Student Loan Project (CSLP) and composed a business plan to tackle the huge untapped philanthropy needs.
- Surveyed 400 potential lenders from tier-1 Chinese cities to understand their willingness to provide low-interest personal loans and particularly interviewed key providers of student loans
- Talked to management team of 5 western colleges to seek their support on future CSLP projects
- Talked to government to understand the future development of state loan project in China
- Designed 4 sets of low-interest student loan products, to address students' needs for tuition, living, training and emergency during college study
- Formulated social business objectives, strategies, business plan and action plan
Project-Based CSR Partnership with A Leading Global Alcoholic Beverages Group
A leading alcoholic beverages group was launching “Project W” globally to empower under-privileged women. VA was invited to facilitate project design and implementation in China.
- Developed a few project options, leveraging VA’s knowledge and resources in China’s social sector
- Completed project design after agreeing on target non-profit organization
- Prepared proposal and other materials to get approval from the company’s AP headquarter
- Provided advisory to the non-profit organization to solve operational issues
- Conducted project monitoring and prepared quarterly progress repot
- Expected to carry out a final evaluation upon project completion focusing on social impact and operational efficiency
Qiang Emroidery - Social Enterprise Scale-up
The Qiang Embroidery Aid Center aims to rebuild Qiang women's livelihoods and preserve the ancient heritage after the 5.12 earthquake in Sichuan. The enterprise faces various difficulties in its first year of operation, including low sales, high operation cost, and limited distribution network. VA did the strategic consulting for the Qiang Embroidery in 2009 focusing on developing the social enterprise's lasting self-sufficiency and capability.
- Interviewed local embroiderers, government officials, key accounts and business managers to understand needs and challenges
- Analyzed market opportunities and benchmarked with best practices to identify target market segment and key accounts
- Analyzed the realistic targets for sales and to-be-supported households
- Determined the "core" products, marketing mode, and inventory controlling methods
- Set up the mechanism after 2009 to sustain the operations
“Lightening up Liangshan” Project Phase I
Jet Li’s One Foundation purchased solar lanterns from D.light Design, a social venture, to bring brightness to the poor region. A pilot in 150 households were conducted by a local NGO to examine the feasibility and measure impact. VA was invited to manage and monitor the project progress, evaluate results and align future objectives.
- Assessed the social impact and future commercial feasibility of scaling up solar lights distribution to other communities on a long-term basis
- Coordinated multiple stakeholders – the foundation, the social venture, the NGO and the media – to ensure interests and objectives were always aligned and action plans were executed on a timely manner
- Provided guidance and feedback for the execution partner on project implementation, budgeting, research methodology and report write-up
- Conducted regular visit to the local villages to interview farmers and government officials with objective to understand the satisfaction level, suggestions for future improvement
- Reached out to media and corporate partners with designed plan for the project scale-up