Research Project on Dual-carbon Issues for a European Family Philanthropic Foundation
In June 2022, VA was invited by an international philanthropic foundation to conduct a study on how domestic foundations can contribute to the national dual-carbon strategy, and to provide recommendations for the philanthropic foundation and its partners on grantmaking in China.
- Scan policies related to China's dual-carbon goals
- Conducted research to understand the strategic goals and priorities, the strengths and weaknesses of the strategy implementation process, and the needs and expectations for capacity building and partnership building through international cooperation of the domestic foundations
- Make recommendations for the foundation and its partners to carry out grantmaking in China
CSR scan for Nike's CSR department
In 2021, VA was invited to conduct an industry CSR scan for Nike's CSR department and provide justification for the establishment of the Nike Foundation, which included scanning the structure and focus areas of foreign companies' philanthropic efforts in China and analyzing the latest trends in CSR.
- Conducted desktop research to analyze the latest trends and models of current CSR promotion, and benchmarked research to analyze the characteristics of CSR design in top tech companies
- Interviewed two foundation staff of foreign companies and participated in a workshop to bring in external first-hand information
- Summarized Nike's CSR strategy of operation and promotion to argue the need of establishing a foundation
Strategy Review for Ellen MacArthur Foundation in China
In 2021, VA was invited to conduct a five-year (2018-2022) strategy review for the Ellen MacArthur Foundation in China. In-depth research was conducted on three key sectors of the foundation's circular economy focus to help advance its future strategic agenda in China.
- Conducted research on three key industries under the Foundation's circular economy focus: textiles, plastics, and circular agriculture. Analyzed policies and regulations, industry research reports, and academic literature related to the three industries
- Interviewed more than 30 internal and external stakeholders, including the internal staffs and managers, experts from universities, industry associations, and INGO
Inclusive Business Feasibility Analysis and Market Demand Study for ADB
In 2017-2018, VA was invited to conduct a research project on inclusive business in China for the Asian Development Bank, providing an overview of inclusive business models among domestic and overseas Chinese companies and identifying potential investment opportunities.
- Screened more than 70 enterprises with inclusive business models and conducted in-depth interviews with nearly 20 of them to assess their inclusive business models, social impact, and financing needs
- Discussed with 5 high-potential enterprises on their financing needs, how international development agencies can respond to these needs, and the potential role that inclusive business can play in rural development
- Organized a workshop on inclusive business and prepared the final report of the Inclusive Business in China
A Study of Social Enterprises and Fiduciary Properties in the Community
In recent years, Chengdu has introduced policies to further guide the participation of social enterprises in community development and governance. This study focuses on the emerging practice of "community enterprises" funded by neighborhood committees in urban communities, as well as the transformation of real estate companies into fiduciary social enterprises (SEs).
- Studied national policies, laws and regulations related to community enterprises through desktop research, and gained an understanding of the case studies of the fiduciary property model, the required elements, and the strengths and weaknesses of the fiduciary property model.
- Visited three grassroots communities in Chengdu and interviewed community stakeholders, representatives of relevant government departments, social enterprises and community development experts for opinions and suggestions.
Research on Social Investment Development in East Asia
VA was invited to conduct research on social investment in nine East Asian countries and regions, including mainland China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia, and to make recommendations to the client on the establishment of a regional social investment platform.
- Conducted interviews and desktop research to understand the development and challenges of the social investment ecosystem in the East Asia region.
- Examined how a prospective regional social investment platform could tackle these issues while evaluating its potential value.
- Offered recommendations on the design and operation of the platform, and devised specific implementation programs and steps.